Nicholas Humphreys Estate Agency in Sheffield – Broomhill & Crookes are specialists in HMO’s. Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) provide an increasingly popular alternative to traditional private renting and continue to offer a popular option to Landlords and tenants alike and here at Nicholas Humphreys Estate Agency, we are experts in providing HMO rental management. We also cater for Student Accommodation HMO.
What is an HMO?
A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a residential property of three people or more with access to shared facilities such as a kitchen and/or bathroom that form multiple “households”.
Why the need to license HMO’s?
The Sheffield City Council works closely with Landlords and Estate Agents to ensure licensable properties that are classed as an HMO comply with regulations regarding HMO licensing and aim to ensure higher risk properties in the Private Rental Sector (PRS) meet improved legal standards and are properly managed. This offers greater protection to tenants renting through an HMO scheme in Sheffield. Not only does this protect the interests of tenants, but also increases the rental potential of the property for Landlords.
What does this licensing improve upon?
Councils require an application for HMO licenses. These are granted on a successful property inspection to ensure it passes government specified minimum amenity standard ensuring that:
- The HMO holder has proper management arrangements in place at the property
- The License holder is “fit and proper”; and
- The property is maintained to an appropriate standard.
HMO’s are required to meet certain standards for a license to be granted to a Landlord. A License will be granted where:
- Appropriate fire safety measures are in place
- Annual gas safety checks are up to date
- Electrical appliances are correctly wired and certified as safe
- Overcrowding in the property does not occur
- There are sufficient washing and cooking facilities.
- Communal areas are kept in good condition and are clean.
- There are appropriate storage and disposal facilities
- Bedrooms meet minimum sizes and more…
Demand for good quality HMO properties in Sheffield is high, particularly for those serving:
- The University of Sheffield
- Sheffield Hallam University (City & Collegiate campuses)
- Royal Hallamshire Hospital
- The Sheffield College
At Nicholas Humphreys Estate Agency in Sheffield – Broomhill & Crookes, we are the leading experts in the HMO market place. If you have any questions whatsoever about the changes coming into effect, please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing email@example.com with the area that you are enquiring about.
The above does not constitute legal advice nor should be relied on for accuracy.